Saturday, November 26, 2005

GREAT SADNESS

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that Mark's darling Nanna passed away tonight at 9.25, just 2 days short of her 100th birthday.

She went quickly and peacefully and the sisters at the nursing home said that maybe she felt that now we had all gathered in preperation for her birthday on Sunday that it was time she left us to join Grandpa Sid.

I am just home from the nursing home after spending a few hours up there with Mark's darling aunt Ruthie, Aunt Helen and 2 of Mark's cousins and Ruthie's husband. It was a few hours filled with many tears and much laughter, reminising, and final goodbyes.

Mark was out at a business dinner and had more than a few drinks when his father rang him with the news so he came home but didn't think it appropriate to go up to the nursing home to say goodbye.

We will still have our celebration of Sunday as almost all of Nanna's family is now here but it will be a celebration of her life and thanksgiving for the beautiful and amazing lady that she was.

Rest in peace darling Nanna - free now from pain.
Safe at last in the loving arms of God and her darling Sid.

~*~ shazz ~*~

4 comments:

Michelle G said...

Oh Shazz, I so feel for you and your family, it's never easy at any age expected or not!! My deepest sympathy to you and your family!! I was in tears reading this post!! Enjoy your time with all your family!! And here's wishing you happier time ahead!!
(((((Hugs to you all!!!!!))))
Love
Michelle

Marie said...

Oh Shazz, what can I say. Just know that I am sending you lots of warm hugs. Perhaps, the nursing staff are right that she wanted everybody to get together before she went. How very sad for you all.
You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Love, Marie xo

Ali :-) said...

Shazzie... I'm just so, so, so sorry to read this post... I know how much you were looking forward to this celebration of Nanna's monumental birthday and now it will be day marred in sadness...

But, like you said, the nurses may be onto something... Nanna probably did sense that now was the perfect time to slip quietly away - knowing that all of her family were gathered around.

Thinking of you, mate
Ali xoxo

Shari said...

Dear Shazz - have been thinking about you heaps and sending lots of love your way. Wish words could help make it better but I know there aren't words enough. How wonderful though for Nanna to be able to be farewelled by all the family who had gathered from near and far. Take care and hugs to the rest of the Prattens. Shari xxx